Special Events/Van Trips
37th ANNUAL FROST GIANT 5K & 10K WINTER RACE: Sunday, January 24, 2016 (Flier)
Chip Salaun was a world class triathlete, mountaineer, author and environmentalist, and co-founder of the "Frost Giant." He devised the name, drew the original logo, laid out the course, pulled the trigger on the fist start, and was the catalyst behind the success of our mountain run. In late April of 1985, Chip vanished in the snow and ice of Mt. Cook in New Zealand. If the wind should blow, it will be his spirit challenging us, then pushing us to another adventure with nature and ourselves. The Estes community and Frost Giant Run lost a dear friend, Katherine Bricker Kent, on July 15, 2000. As one of Northern Colorado's most prestigious female runners, "Kate" was a multiple winner of Frost Giant Runs, three time Olympic Marathon Qualifying participant, co-founder of Kent Mountain Adventures with husband Harry, and mother to a son, Owen Kent. A portion of the proceeds from the Frost Giant Run will be donated to the Katherine Bricker Kent Memorial Fund and the Estes Valley Youth Activities Assistance Fund.
2016 Frost Giant Results: http://www.fivestartiming.com/event/show/251479934
**2017 Date Announced: Sunday, January 29, 2017. (Super Bowl 2017 is Sunday, February 5, 2017).
Date: Sunday, January 24, 2016.
Times: 5K; 11am
Where: Race start and check-in is at the Town of Estes Park Municipal Building; 170 MacGregor Ave, Estes Park, CO 80517
Divisions: 0-8, 9-11, 12-15, 16-25, 26-32, 33-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70 & Up
Awards: Overall Male and Female 1st-3rd place and Age Division Winners 1st-3rd place
Shirts: All shirts are a long-sleeve performance shirt and are unisex youth and adult sizes *(Sizes tend to run large). Sorry, no women's specific sizes.
Costumes: Costumes are highly encouraged!
Cost: Pre-registration: 1 Race and shirt $28.00/Both races and shirt $35.00
Race Day Registration: 1 race and shirt $33.00/Both races and shirt $40.00
Packet Pick-Up: Race packets can only be picked up the day of the race starting at 9:30am, inside the Estes Park Municipal Building. Race packets include your bib number(s) and a long-sleeve Frost Giant memorabilia shirt.
Stay tuned for more updates, maps, activities, and prize info!
Race Registration Options:
- Register online through Thursday, January 21, 2016, 11:59 pm, at active.com. Card only. https://endurancecui.active.com/event-reg/select-race?e=30802153
- Print and drop off the Frost Giant Registration Form and payment to the EVRPD Administrative Office, 690 Big Thompson Ave in Estes Park. Cash, check, or card only.
- Register on race day starting at 9:30am, inside the Estes Park Municipal Building. Forms will be available on-site. **CASH or CHECK ONLY! Cards will NOT be accepted!
Contact: Cheryl Sarnwick; Recreation Supervisor at 970-586-8191, Ext. 3 for more information.
- 5K: Start at the Estes Park Municipal Building entrance on MacGregor Ave. The race begins on pavement as you head north on MacGregor Ave, continue north as you cross Wonderview Ave, and continue to the MacGregor Ranch property. The course then becomes cross country. Marshals will direct you east into a field as you make a loop through the field, popping back out onto MacGregor Ave. You will now head south down MacGregor Ave on the pavement and end back at the Estes Park Municipal Building entrance.
- 10K: Start at the Estes Park Municpal Building entrance on MacGregor Ave. The race begins on pavement. You will take an immediate left off of MacGregor onto Park Lane and then a quick right heading uphill north on Virginia Drive. As you head uphill, Virginia Drive will curve left and become Big Horn Drive (If you stay straight on Virginia Drive it becomes Virginia Lane so make sure to follow Virginia Drive to the left. *Race marshal's will be there to direct runners). You will stay on Big Horn Drive as it crosses Wonderview Road and continue heading uphill to the north on Big Horn Drive. Big Horn Drive will curve downhill to the east and pop out at MacGregor Ave. Turn left/north on MacGregor Ave until you reach the MacGregor Ranch property. The course then becomes cross country. Marshals will direct you east into a field as you make a loop through the field, popping back out onto MacGregor Ave and crossing the road to continue a loop on the field south of MacGregor Ave. Follow the race marshal's direction as this portion of the race loops you east through the field, works it's way west, and then brings you back out to MacGregor Ave, at which time you are back on pavement. Head south on MacGregor Ave and end back at the Estes Park Municipal Building entrance.